About the Burke Bike Barn
The barn was built in the 1840′s and was located on the Burke Green Road, about 2 miles from its current location. In the fall of 2008, the barn was disassembled one piece at a time . The old oak pegs were knocked out and the mortise and tenon joinery was taken apart. Small repairs were made to rotted sections. The barn was then reconstructed – the joinery was reconnected and the same oak pegs were knocked back into place. The barn measures 47 feet long and 30 feet wide. The impressive hand hewn timbers include 4 beams measuring 47 feet long and 6 beams measuring 30 feet long. Recycled materials dominate the interior. The flooring on the ground floor and the staircases (2 3/4″ thick old pine) was originally used as subflooring in a factory. The windows, many with old wavy glass, were collected from various old buildings in Vermont. Many of the windows came from the East Burke Clubhouse in East Burke village.